HBO Max, the latest version of HBO, was launched May, 27 2020 but many people are wondering how it’s different, how much it costs, and how it’s different from regular HBO, HBO Now and HBO Go. It can all be a bit confusing, so we’re here to break it down for you. In this article we will cover:
What is HBO Max?
HBO Max vs HBO GO vs HBO NowUnderstanding the difference between all of the different versions of HBO can be a bit confusing, especially if you’re new to HBO. So here are the differences in a nutshell:
- HBO Max: The premium version of HBO available with direct subscriptions and through select AT&T products.
- HBO GO: Access to HBO through your TV subscription that includes this channel.
- HBO Now: Stand-alone subscription to HBO that doesn’t require a cable or satellite TV service.
How much will HBO Max cost?
How do I get HBO Max for free?
If you’re already an HBO subscriber, then you might automatically get access to HBO Max via your HBO subscription. However you'll still be paying for the streaming service, you just won't be paying anything additional to your current HBO subscription.
If you don't want to pay anything for HBO Max (or HBO for that matter) and save yourself almost $200 per year, there are two ways to get access to HBO Max for free:
- Sign up for AT&T’s Unlimited Elite cell phone plan
- Sign up for AT&T’s Internet 1000 plans
AT&T plans with free HBO Max
HBO Max Shows and Movies
- An American Pickle: a film featuring Seth Rogan in both leading roles
- Charm City Kings: Sundance Film Festival 2020 award winner starring Meek Mill
- Untitled Cooking Project: executive produced and starring Selena Gomez
- Santa Inc.: animated series featuring the voices of Sarah Silverman and Seth Rogan
- More anime titles: brought to you by Crunchyroll
How can I stream HBO Max?
- The HBO Max app
- Through your TV service (if you subscribe to HBO Max that way)
- Via Hulu
Is HBO Max worth it?
In short, it depends. If you already subscribe to HBO (and watch it), then yes, since it won’t cost you any extra to upgrade to HBO Max—both cost $14.99 per month. However, if you don’t already subscribe to HBO and don’t feel like you’re missing out on anything, it might not be worth forking out an additional $15 per month for a service you may not even use—especially if you already subscribe to a number of other streaming services.
The great thing about HBO Max is that you won’t be locked into a contract so you can cancel your subscription at any time. This makes it easy to try for a month or two then decide if it’s worth your money or not.
If you’re willing to switch your cell phone plan to AT&T, then the best option would be to sign up for the Unlimited Elite plan and get HBO Max for free.
I personally think HBO comes out with amazing TV shows and movies so the $15 per month is totally worth it for me, but everyone has their own tastes and opinions. Just be aware that many top TV shows come from HBO, so if you don’t want to be left out of conversations (cue flashbacks of Game of Thrones), you may want to add HBO Max to your streaming service library.